Work–related musculoskeletal disorders (WMSD) are a significant burden on business. According to The Australian Safety and Compensation Council, the number of workers’ compensation claims for acute and chronic MSD's reported for the year 2003 was over 76,000 claims representing 43% of all injury and disease-related claims made.
The number of employees experiencing pain from WMSDs but not making a workers compensation claim is estimated to be many times higher than this, significantly affecting sick leave, productivity, moral, workplace atmosphere and customer service.
Ergonomic improvements in business’ have been shown extensively to provide a significant return on investment. (click on article for published benefits seen by 250 large and small business’)
Benefits of a Workplace Ergonomics Process
Here are five of the proven benefits of a strong workplace ergonomics process:
1. Ergonomics reduces costs. By systematically reducing ergonomic risk factors, you can prevent costly WMSDs. With almost $1 out of every $2 in workers compensation costs attributed to WMSDs, this represents an opportunity for significant cost savings. Also, don’t forget that indirect costs can be up to twenty times the direct cost of an injury.
2. Ergonomics improves productivity. The best ergonomic solutions will often improve productivity. By designing a job to allow for good posture, less exertion, fewer motions and better heights and reaches, the workstation becomes more efficient.
3. Ergonomics improves quality. Poor ergonomics leads to frustrated and fatigued workers that don’t do their best work. When the job task is too physically taxing on the worker, they may not perform their job like they were trained.
4. Ergonomics improves employee engagement. Employees notice when the company is putting forth their best efforts to ensure their health and safety. If an employee does not experience fatigue and discomfort during their workday, it can reduce turnover, decrease absenteeism, improve morale and increase employee involvement.
5. Ergonomics creates a better safety culture. Ergonomics shows your company’s commitment to safety and health as a core value. The cumulative effect of the previous four benefits of ergonomics is a stronger safety culture for your company. Healthy employees are your most valuable asset; creating and fostering the safety & health culture at your company will lead to better human performance for your organisation.
GB Physiotherapy offers a range of services to assist in your ergonomics process, emphasising employee education and self-benefits, rather than expensive customisation of the workplace.
Different levels of service provide benefits that fit within the investment that each business is able to make in their employees and their environment.
1. Basic Ergonomic Assessment
Basic Ergonomic Assessment is designed to assess your workers environment to ensure they are correctly set up thereby maximising their comfort within the workplace or at home. The assessments focus is that of injury prevention and postural education, minimising the risk of an individual’s ergonomic setup causing an injury, ache and/or pain.
Brief report on ergonomic observations and recommendations.
$125 Per Assessment (excluding travel costs)
2. Comprehensive Ergonomic Assessment
Comprehensive Ergonomic Assessment is designed to assess an injured workers environment and ergonomic understanding to ensure they are correctly set up, thereby minimising the risk of exacerbation of any current injuries, whilst providing education on proactive symptom management techniques.
Comprehensive report on ergonomic observations, equipment, recommendations and adjustments made.
$350 Per Assessment (excluding travel costs)
3. Group Ergonomic Assessments and Presentations
Group Ergonomic Training is designed to provide your workforce with education on basic ergonomic principles and self management strategies. These interactive presentations are followed by individual one on one ergonomic assessments of each participants workstation ensuring that they are correctly setup to facilitate their health and well-being, whilst minimising the risk of future injury and/or pain. (One on one assessments can be offered as needed).
$125 Per 30 Minute Workplace Ergonomics Presentation
15 Minute Individual One on One Workstation Assessments, includes group report on ergonomic observations, equipment, recommendations and adjustments made.
$185/hr One on One Assessments (excluding travel costs)